This is my very first post, so I feel the need to delve into the title and my own belief system for those who may be interested in following me. First, the title: all my life I've heard folks refer to something being "gospel." Of course, they didn't really mean as in the Bible, and who knows if they were really telling the truth or just trying to convince themselves. I was raised in the Presbyterian Church, as my parents were very religious. They were not, however, pious, and taught me a lot of truths based on the Gospels, and their compassion and honesty were my role models. They were not perfect, but they did their best as parents and Christians, and I'll be forever greatful for their raising me to respect and care about others.
Because so many people today throw around the word "Christian" but don't seem to have a clue who Jesus was, I decided to start this blog based on His words and deeds. As for the Bible, you may take it or leave it; your faith is your business, but the man so often invoked by so many was a liberal in every sense of the word and has gotten a bad rap by the right-wingers who quote the Old Testament and The Book of Revelation. I'd like to set the record straight for once, by telling His story as it was written. Am I a believer? Ain't nobody's business but my own. Do I find the words and deeds as attributed to Jesus interesting, provocative and inspiring? ABSOLUTELY!
Will this blog be based entirely on Jesus? ABSOLUTELY NOT! It will include universal truths and quotes from great minds, such as Ghandi, John Lennon, Charles Schultz, Maya Angelou, James Baldwin, and many others whom I admire and with whom I agree. These quotes and stories will be pitted against the words and deeds of folks like Sarah Palin, Glen Beck, Dr. Dobson, Rush Linbaugh, et. al. I hope to shed a new light on their lies, distortions and right-wing propaganda.
Join me on this journey, please. I hope I won't disappoint.
Monday, March 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment